6 Things to Do When Buying a Swimsuit
As I head into a vacation in Costa Rica I put off one activity until the very last-minute – getting a new swimsuit. I think there are few things almost all women can agree on but shopping for a swimsuit has to be at the top of “least favorite things to do” for most women I know. So, here are a few tips to help you through it:
- DO IT ON A “NORMAL” DAY. Girls, you know what I mean. We have a “most skinny” day and our “most not-so-skinny” day in a month. Swimsuit shopping shouldn’t be done at either extreme. And you should definitely be feeling good about yourself BEFORE you do it. If you’re already hyper critical of your curves, your skin tone, or even your unshaven legs, it’s not the right day.
- LISTEN TO A HAPPY SONG! Quite literally, “Happy” by Pharrell Williams was on the radio just before I walked into my third store. This made a HUGE difference in my attitude. Instead of dreading the need to try tight spandex on my not-so-tight body, I was still bopping to the beat in my head and thinking like the 20-something who used to like being in a swimsuit. I still didn’t find anything until the 5th store, but I was less disgusted and disappointed in myself.
- TRY ON SOMETHING COMPLETELY WRONG. I know that sounds counter-productive but I took several suits that were obviously for teens or those less full-figured into the dressing room. I forced them on and thought “now THAT is a bad suit!”. Then when I tried on the REAL suits, I was less judgemental about what I looked like and actually concentrated on how the suit truly fit.
- LAUGH AT YOURSELF! Nothing lightened the mood more than those oh-so-wrong suits. Whether they were intentionally wrong or more the “who the hell would wear THIS?” type of wrong, laugh at the result. Several times I looked in the mirror, made a face and laughed at how absurd I looked.
- TAKE A TRUSTED FRIEND. I neglected this step and I wish I hadn’t. My friends always make shopping that much better, mostly because I trust their opinion of what works on ME and they see things I missed. Plus, if it’s the right friend, you can laugh at them, too. 😉
- DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. Unless you’re going to be wearing a suit for some sort of photo shoot, don’t sweat it too much. I called my husband while in the fourth store, apologizing for taking so long. His response? “What’s so difficult about it? You’re wearing it in a foreign country! No one you know will see you so just get something that’s comfortable!” Granted, I know there will be SOME photos from the vacation and I’d like to not have to hide all of them. But he’s right. I’m not a model; it isn’t my livelihood to look good in a swimsuit. I’m going on vacation and I need to be able to go in the ocean. Period. That’s it. So, I found one that fulfilled that purpose. Done.
That’s it. Try these few things the next time you have to try on a swimsuit (or workout clothes, or fancy dress or a suit or…you get the idea). I don’t guarantee success but I do sincerely believe the experience will be better and you’ll be more likely to find what you need (even if it’s not necessarily what you want).